Tuesday, August 21, 2012

We, The Lower People

I have nothing particularly constructive to say in this post.  I just found the following amusing and thought I'd share.

From Steven Pinker's The Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window into Human Nature, analyzing the beginning of The Declaration of Independence:

"[I]f language is our guide, the lofty declaration of abstract principles is really a story with a strange and clunky plot.  Some people are hanging beneath some other people, connected by cords.  As stuff flows by, something forces the lower people to cut the cords and stand beside the upper people, which is what the rules require.  They see some onlookers, and clear away the onlookers' view of what forced them to do the cutting."

And did you know that human-based metonyms are universally considered dysphemistic?

I didn't either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home